Sunday, March 7, 2010

Balanced Baby Steps Needed

I have been feeling really depressed lately and can't really put my finger on it.

In terms of this weight loss thing, I seem to be just standing still. I plan out what I want to do and where I want to get to and then I act on my plans for about a day and then throw everything out the window. I think setting goals about what I want to loose by when stresses me out and doesn't help me get to where I want to be.

Instead, I need to focus on my baby steps again...in all areas of my life. I get overwhelmed too easily and then become very oversensitive. I have been blessed with so many opportunities - I need to grab hold of those.

I think I have written about this before but I keep needing to remind myself - baby steps is what works. I also seem to achieve more success if I focus on goals without dates. So here are a new set of goals...I am just going to keep taking baby steps towards them and then celebrate them in a big way when I get there.

I am currently sitting on about 94.5Kg. Weigh-in days are Wednesdays.

Goal 1 = 93Kg. Reward = feeling comfortable in my new clothes.
I have a few new tops (grey one, white ones etc) that I was fitting well at about 93 Kg. Now that the weight has crept on a little again, they still fit but I feel somewhat uncomfortable in them.

Goal 2 = 88Kg. Reward = wearing my new plum top.
I also have new plum coloured top that I haven't worn out yet. I really love it and mum and T have told me it looks good on me but I feel really self conscious in it at the moment. My reward for dropping 7kg more will be to wear this to work for the first time. :)...little bit nervous about this one :)

******** Getting to 88Kg will be a great achievement for me ********* I need to remember this.

I also need to remember that no matter what weight you are, you can still be beautiful on the outside. I need to make sure I am getting enjoyment from my clothes, doing my hair and make-up nice and smiling more. I also need to remember to drink lots of water to make my skin healthy.

Goal 3: 85Kg. Reward = buying 2 more outfits for work.

Goal 4: 82Kg. Reward = weekend away/night on the town.
I weighed this weight when I got married...while I was overweight at this time and felt it, I still remember feeling a lot better than I do now. Reaching this weight will be well marked by a night of dancing.

Goal 5: 78Kg. Reward = going through that box of clothes I have had packed away for years because they haven't fitted for years and finding at least one outfit to wear!

Goal 6: 75Kg. Reward = feeling free to fall pregnant at any time.
Even though 75Kg isn't my goal weight - I personally feel if I got pregnant at this weight my body could deal with it.

Goal 7: 72Kg. Reward = holiday somewhere.

Goal 8: 68Kg. Reward = being at goal - feeling the amazing sense of achievement.

Now, goals 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 don't really matter right now. The only thing that matters at the moment is: Goal 1 = 93Kg. Reward = feeling comfortable in my new clothes.

Baby steps towards Goal 1:

1. Eating more regular and healthy meals and being conscious of portions.
2. Drinking at least 6 glasses of water each day and only one glass of any other drink.
3. Exercising for at least 20 minutes each day.

Distance from Goal 1 today = 1.5Kg.
Plan for today's baby steps =
1. From now, I am going to eat every 2 - 3 hours and make the portions 10% smaller. 2. I've already had a coffee for today so, for the rest of the day, it's nice cold water. 3. I need to walk the DVD to the video shop and I would also like to do my 10 min intense tummy toning workout. I also am getting of the Internet now to do a super clean of the house.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you've been kind of down lately, but you are absoulutely right. . . baby steps are the key! I have been stuck at just under 80kg for weeks and weeks and I've decided I really need to refocus too, after 18 months of fairly religious tracking, it's really dropped off this year, so that's my focus for now. Doesn't matter what I eat, as long as I track it. In the past, I have found that tracking helps me get back on track. I've put in all my foods for tommorrow and only have 2.5 points left so hopefully I'll thinkof that when I feel like having a slice of bread when I'm making the kids sandwiches, or indulging in a biscuit in the staffroom.

    Mini-goals with rewards are great . . . I also find rather than thinking about making good choices for a whole week or day . . . focussing on the next meal, or the next thing that goes into your mouth and making sure you are happy with each choice you make, is helpful too. If you do choose to have something that isn't the best choice . . . try to make the very next bit a better one. I find that even thinking about a day is too much because it's too easy to think "Oh well, I've blown it now, etc"

    Well I hope your mood picks up a little and you DO get your buzz back!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi getting the buzz back!! So good to see you on-line again. I don't know what happened--I wrote you a lengthy comment to this post a little while ago and I'm thinking that maybe I didn't press "post" or something?

    Anyway, can't quite remember what I wrote but it was something about baby steps being the way to go! Try to prioritise what baby step you are working on as it can be overwhelming to focus on everything at once. I'm trying to refocus on tracking . . . which I've not been so good at lately. For 15 months or so, I religiously tracked and this term, I just haven't been so good about it. I know that it is critical to my success, however. Also I'm trying to track before I eat stuff, as if I wait til the end of the night, I tend to find that I'm already over. This seems to be helping me re-commit at the minute.

    I totally agree with your comments about the goals with the dates attached . . . I have signed up for so many Goal End of month challenge, which I never succeed with. I tend to get half way through the month and realise that I'm not going to make my goal and then I lose motivation as I feel like I've failed. I have decided that I don't care when it happens, as long as I get there in the end.

    Sometimes even having a goal of losing 1.5 kg, can be a bit daunting. I've been trying to just make the next food choice I'm faced with, a positive one. If you keep making as many good food choices as you can, you get there in the end.

    Hope things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete